Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Chicken Coop and Frost


So I got the chicken coop done toady. I put some braces in the upper corners of the coop to help make it sturdier and attached a tarp door flap that can be easily dropped down to stop drafts and give the ladies privacy when needed. This coop is obviously not suitable for hens being kept outdoors as it offers no real security, but as my ladies are in the garage its all good. 

Chickens do not require a fancy place to sleep, all they need is a perch to sleep on (I use a large branch) a nesting box to lay in (I use a large wooden box filled with hay), and protection from predators and the elements (the garage does that). In the winter, I'll throw a blanket over the coop and add some extra hay to help keep out drafts and keep the ladies warmer.





On a bad note, we've had frost the last two nights, and despite covering the seedlings in the garden with hay, I lost almost all my tomato plants and cherry tomato plants. :( Obviously I should have waited longer to plant. Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment