Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Turkey eggs

Mindy laid her first ever egg today. very exciting! I got Mindy last August when she was only one week old, so this egg was not just the first of the season, it was her first egg ever

This is a turkey egg


this is my sweet Mindy and her fella George. Mindy is a Eastern Wild Turkey and George is a Bourbon Red.


Unlike chickens or even ducks, turkeys lay very limited eggs. Maybe two months worth at the very most. Once she gets a clutch and hatches it, she won't lay again till next year. to help prolong her laying, I'll steal her eggs for the first month and then let her hatch a clutch of eggs during her second month of laying.

The photo below shows some of the eggs I brought in today. The Saxony duck egg is bigger than the turkey egg, but as Mindy lays more eggs they will get bigger and should eventually be larger than the duck eggs. 


You can of course eat turkey eggs. they are richer than chicken eggs are, but not as rich as duck eggs. However, my turkey eggs are definitely not for eating! They are for hatching! Turkey hatching eggs sell for $4-$5 per egg! Turkey hatching eggs are much in demand I already have buyers for many of mine :)

Now all I need is for my Muscovy ducks to start laying!



No comments:

Post a Comment