Pages

Friday, February 14, 2014

A Sad Night

Unfortunately, Laverne, my sick Orpington hen, passed away last night.

She continued to weaken as the evening went on and around 10pm, she went into death spasms and died with blood coming up her eyes, nose and mouth. It was horrible and heart breaking.

I went on the Backyard Chicken forum to ask if anyone knew what happened, as my online research could not find a chicken disease that matched her symptoms, and everyone there feels that she had gotten poisoned somehow.

I'm not sure what she ate that poisoned her. I'll be searching the garage, basement and outside today for some clues. I will also be researching what to do encase it ever happens again. (When a dog eats something poison, there are things you can give them )

I'm so sorry for Laverne. I wish I could of done better at helping her.

It's a tough day for me, my heart hurts. I feel like I've failed and it's cost a life. It's tough.

I've seen more animal death in my three years in the country than I have my entire life before moving here. I'm a bit of a crappy farmer, it hurts my heart a lot when i lose an animal. they are not livestock to me, they are beloved pets.

The wheel turns.






No comments:

Post a Comment