Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Tale of Two Hens

Well, my two turkeys, Mork and Mindy, are both girls! Damn, how'd that happen? I gotta be the stupidest person around to have missed that. They look identical! Duh!


When I got them as poults, the guy I got them from said he thought they were a male and female, and as one was bigger than the other I totally believed him and never questioned it. It made me blind to seeing the obvious.

Today, I posted their photo on a Facebook group (Maritime Fowl) and everyone on there told me they are two girls! I googled 3 month old Turkey Tom and got photos like this one:


How'd I miss that? 

I'm feeling pretty stupid right now. I guess I thought the tail would come up later in the male.

It's amazing how easily we believe things!

So now I am searching for a Tom turkey for my two ladies. It's a hard time of year to find one. I might have to wait for next summer (which will put me a year behind on breeding). I put an ad on Kijiji and asked on local Facebook groups. Hopefully someone has a young male to sell!

Damn!

And I need new names for the ladies! Mork and Mindy obviously doesn't work.


On a bright note, at least it wasn't two Toms (cause I'd have to rehome one)

Hugs and love!




No comments:

Post a Comment