Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

New Chickens

I got two new chickens today. They are silver laced Wyandottes. They are only seven weeks old, so are soooooo small and cute! The youngest hens I've gotten are six months old, so this is a new experience for me.



Due to their small size, they'll have to stay in their cage for at least a week or two. They won't start laying until they are 5-6 months old. I did some googling today and found that chickens this young cannot have laying feed (which the other ladies eat) as it has too much calcium, so I'll have to run to the feed store and get them some different feed tomorrow.

So, now I have seven hens, one New Hampshire Red (Poppy) that is about two years old, two Rhode Island Reds (Red and Baron) that are about a year and a half old, two Golden Comets (Daisy and Marigold) that are about eight months old and the two silver laced Wyandottes. I'll have to give the new girls names!

I look forward to watching the new ladies grow, it should be an interesting and educational experience!




No comments:

Post a Comment