Pages

Monday, June 22, 2015

Ducks

I've been researching livestock for the new homestead. As most of you know, I'm a bit of a tender hearted wuss and am not comfortable killing things, so I'm looking for livestock that can be profitable without the killing.

I have egg laying hens already and they are awesome, so I will definitely be increasing my flock of hens. I was also thinking about adding a flock of ducks.

I learned some interesting things about ducks lately:

-There are some breeds of ducks that lay as well as hens

- Most domestic duck breeds don't fly

- Male ducks are notorious rapists. they have huge penises (up to 17 inches long!!)  that are spiraled.

- In an attempt to stop duck rape, female ducks evolved a spiral vagina (that spiral opposite the male's penis) to make it harder to impregnate them. Only about 2% of duck rape ends in pregnancy!

- Ducks are better at insect control than hens are

I think (assuming I can find some in the area for sale. I am going to get Indian Runners. they are the best laying breed of ducks. Here's a YouTube video if them :)








No comments:

Post a Comment