Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Rail Fence

Hi! Hope everyone is having a great week! Here's some fun stuff I've been doing lately!

My son and I put up a rail fence. I have never put up a rail fence before, but it was pretty easy. I watched a YouTube video. :) It took us about two and a half hours to put up the fence. We have piles and piles and piles of dead fall and downed trees so it took a bit to dig through all the wood to find what we needed.

The fence didn't cost me a penny and was made with very minimal tools. I pushed on the fence and it didn't fall over; I'm not sure how it will stand up to a big storm, I guess we'll have to wait and see.



To make the fence you need:

Wood "Y" pieces (where the branch breaks into two, making a "Y"). We used seven on our fence.

Straight sturdy yet bendable wood branches about two-three feet long. These are to make the "X" that goes over the bottom rail and the top rail rests on. We used 14 (seven "X")

Long thick branches or trees for rails. We used four that were 10-15 feet each.



1. Point the ends on all the Ys and Xs

2. Carefully hammer the Y branches into the ground. These are to set your bottom rail on. Put one in the ground every couple of feet.

3. Put the bottom rail/tree/branch on the Ys. The YS will lift the bottom rail slightly off the ground. 

3. Hammer into the ground the two-three feet long branches so they make a X over the bottom rail. Make one "X" every couple of feet.

4.  Place the top rail/branch/tree on the center of the "X"s. The top rail/branch holds down the X which holds down the bottom rail.

I hope that made sense!

The fence is obviously not to stop the critters! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment