Pages

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Selling Eggs

I've been selling my chicken's eggs ever since I got hens. Back in Ontario, I use to charge all my friends a 2L of Coke for a dozen eggs. Here in Nova Scotia, I'm making it into a business.I charge $3 a dozen chicken eggs and $5 for a dozen duck eggs, and I offer a 50/50 pack of 6 chicken eggs and 6 duck eggs. I have been selling a few to neighbors, from an ad at the County Market, and an ad on Kijiji, but wanted to up my sales, so thought I'd try setting up a little table and selling roadside on the weekends.

In both Ontario and Nova Scotia, a small farmer may sell eggs without being graded on their own property.. So as long as I'm on my own property I'm legal :)

Last weekend, my son and I set up the table and sold out of chicken eggs in about two hours. This weekend, we sold out of chicken eggs in about an hour an half. We made $28 and a can of beer :) We have 17 chicken hens so pull in around a dozen or so eggs a day. I need more hens!I would like to add another 5-10 hens to my flock and maybe another rooster.


In other egg news, the fertilized eggs I sent to a friend in Kitchener Ontario hatched three eggs yesterday! Very exciting! A couple more eggs still may hatch. Fingers crossed. 

The family who gave me my silkie rooster, Wally, stopped in and bought my last dozen eggs today (she bought them to hatch as all my eggs are fertilized). I had given them 6 eggs to hatch about a month ago and 3 of them hatched. Sadly the other three, died trying to get out of the egg. :( 

My own hatching experience has been dismal. None of my goose eggs hatched, the duck eggs with the goose eggs died, most of Dirty Girl's clutch didn't work out (and then she left the nest so we transferred the viable eggs to Hyde). And now, Hyde's eggs are down to only five left (she started with almost 15). There are two duck eggs and three chicken eggs left under her. We were close to giving up on the remaining eggs, but today we saw hope! One of the duck eggs, a saxony egg, was moving and we could hear a "tap, tap, tap,' coming from inside the shell!

From what Google tells me, the duckling is internal pipping and should hatch within the next 24-48 hours! I'm so nervous! I hope she makes it! I would really love to hatch someone!

I will update tomorrow on the duckling. Hopefully good news!

Hugs and love!










No comments:

Post a Comment