Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

New Chickens

I got five more chickens; they were gifted from a kind friend. Four hens and a rooster. yep, a rooster! I'm a little nervous about him, I hope I don't regret it. Chickens are so expensive around here we thought it would save a lot to start breeding our own. The chickens are only eight weeks old so are safely shut up in the dog cage. Right now, they are way too small to free range.



The chickens are a mixed breed. The rooster is the white fella.

They will have to stay in the cage for a couple of weeks. They should start laying around Yule.

I finally found some hay. There is a hay shortage this year, so it's damn hard to find around here. It cost me $10 for a bale! Ouch! Thankfully one bale with be enough to last the winter. As you can see in the pics, there is 3-4 inches of sand on the bottom of the coop to help with insulation.

We also added one more window (now there is two small windows) on the coop to help with light.

Winter is going to be here before we know it so it's super important that we are prepared!





No comments:

Post a Comment