Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Off Leash Dogs

Dusk ritual; we take the dogs for a walk down to the firepit and back, we feed/water the little chickens, and when we get back from the walk we put the ladies safely away.

(For those who don't know, Taco is a Chihuahua, Buddha is a Pug, and Skully is a Rottie/Shepherd)

We've been working with Taco off leash (Skully and Buddha are already awesome, particularly Buddha). It's scary to let Taco off leash, he's tenacious, predatory and only 10 pounds. He's also incredibly fast and agile. However, after six weeks of thinking about it, we decided despite our fears, we should work with him on it. He really wants to boot down the path and play with his big brothers and there are so many trees that need peed on! So far (knock wood) he has been doing fantastic. He went to chase a chipmunk tonight and came back when called. :) He stops and waits if he gets too far ahead and has, despite instinct, listened to his commands in a reasonable length of time (He's not responding to the first "come", but is coming within the first five.) He is also now able to walk through the group of hens without chasing or trying to hump them :)

Buddha is so much easier here in the forest, cause he has no predatory instincts and has gotten to the age that he's more for waddling than running, and Skully is Skully. We may have a problem if we see a large animal; last time he saw a deer it took about five minutes of calling to get him home, but overall he's awesome.

Off leash dogs are always tough on me cause I worry so much for their safety, but on the same level I know how much they love being able to run free, and how good of exercise it is. It is also far more pleasant to walk a dog off leash than on; assuming the dog is well behaved!

Some people think I'm nuts having a Pug and a Chihuahua in this environment. Most people think more of hunting and hounds dogs living at a forest homestead, or maybe a large working dog. There is no reason a toy dog cannot do well out in the forest! Little dogs are tougher than they look, especially when raised properly. I got Taco and Buddha back when I lived in the city. When I got them I did not know I would be moving to the country and then to in the middle of a forest, but they have both loved moving. I think every dog would rather live in the country, or better yet in a forest, than in the city!

When I think of the perfect breed of dog for where I am living:

1. I want a dog that can be let off leash safely (So no hounds)

2. I want a dog with low predatory instincts; that it won't chase/kill chipmunks, bunnies etc (So no Terriers, plus that rules out some of the hunting dogs and working dog breeds)

3. I want a dog that gets along with other dogs, cats and livestock (So again no Terriers, and that also rules out some of the toys, some of the working and some of the companion breeds)

4. I want a dog that is generally good with other people, children especially; the dog doesn't have to be "friendly" with strangers, just not aggressive. (There are a few guardian/working breeds that are too suspicious of strangers to be safe around camping guests, but with most breeds it's all about proper socialization)

5. Dogs under 12 pounds are in danger of being picked up and killed by predatory birds, so I want a dog 15 pounds and over (So that rules out many of the toy dogs)

If the dog is wanted as a livestock guardian or simply a companion, also matters. If the dog is to be a livestock guardian, the dog needs to be comfortable in all our Canadian weather conditions and of course have excellent guardian skills. The dog would also need to be tough enough to stand up and survive run ins with bears, coyotes and wolves.

If the dog is to be a spoiled companion, he doesn't need any guardian skills at all, all he needs is to be cuddly and loyal.

So, if I had known I would be moving to the middle of a forest, would I have gotten a Pug and a Chihuahua? yes to the Pug, probably not to the Chihuahua (and only because a Chi has high predatory instincts which makes him hard to let off leash and they are under 15 pounds so I constantly have to watch for eagles/hawks etc)

At the moment, I have no plans to add another dog to the household, but in the spring when we get goats, we may add a livestock guardian dog. Top of my list is a Great Pyrenees or a Maremma Sheepdog. Both breeds are available around here, not a horrible prices, and fit what I need.

Bottom line, any breed can do well in any environment given proper training and care, and yes, toy dogs can totally rock living in a forest!

Some pics of the boys enjoying their after supper off leash walk


































No comments:

Post a Comment