Pages

Monday, September 4, 2017

Muscovy Moms

It's just after 6am here in Nova Scotia. I've been up for a few hours as I've been doing yard patrols to help keep my new Muscovy moms and babes safe. Unfortunately when the Muscovys set up their nest they picked a bad spot, one which I am unable to protect well. Right now, they are their most vulnerable; if a predator attacked they would be forced to fight to defend their young and they (and the babes) would probably end up dead. So, I've been doing walks around outside every 30 minutes or so. Being a loud annoying human to help scare any predators away.

Last that I saw, two ducklings had been born. More could of been born overnight in the dark, I'll know better once the sun rises.

It of course had to rain tonight. Sigh ... we've barely had any rain all summer, but of course the one night I would really like warm and dry, we get rain :( Ducks generally love rain, but ducklings chill easily. As the Muscovy nest was completely uncovered and would of gotten drenched, I put a lawnchair and tarp over them in an attempt to help keep them drier. (We were suppose to get 10mm of rain overnight)

I'm off to do a predator patrol! Once the sun is up, I'll try to get photos of the babes! Hugs and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment