Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

Hydro Bills

Well, I got my first New Brunswick hydro bill today ... 

It was just over $700; however, $400 is the deposit and $45 is the hook up fee, so my actually hydro bill was just under $300. 

$300 is pretty high; however, that includes heat (I have electric heat here), hot water heater rental, hot water and normal hydro use. Its not horrible.

There was a $18.23 service charge (for rural residential) on the bill, but unlike Ontario, no crazy delivery charges or debt repayment etc. 

A quick cost comparison:

When we lived outside of Sarnia (pretty well same distance from a city as we are now), we had a $100 delivery fee every month plus the debt thing etc. We started each month about $120 in the hole, before any actual hydro usage charges. For the month of March, my average hydro bill would be about $220, my average water bill was about $30 and heat cost me about $250 for the month (I had oil heat, its very expensive). So, for heat/water/hydro, I paid about $500 for the month of March when I lived in the country outside of Sarnia.

When I lived in Coe Hill (I wasn't there for March so I will give you Feb. stats). I paid about $250 for gas/oil for the generator and about $80 for propane (For the fridge/stove/hot water heater). Water was free as it was well water and heat was free as it was wood heat (It was free money wise, but took a heck of a lot of physical work and time). So, for heat/hydro/water it cost me about $330 a month. However, that only got me about 10-20% of the hydro I had to use when i lived outside of Sarnia, and the woodstove did not heat the place well, so it was extremely cold in the house.

The month of March in New Brunswick cost me about $300 for heat/hydro/water. I have well water so it is free. Honestly, I used more heat than I normally would. After freezing in Coe Hill for all of Jan.and Feb, I just wanted to be warm and didn't want to wear three sweaters!

So, cheapest- New Brunswick, by far, even with the electric heat

Now, I gotta get my butt to work to make some money to pay the deposit! the $300 hydro bill is no problem, but the $400 deposit is scary! 

Hugs and love!


No comments:

Post a Comment