Pages

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Duck, Duck, Goose

On Monday past we had a big snow storm. My three Muscovy ducks; Mama Muscovy, Peanut and Popcorn (her two daughters) were at the back pond. Mama Muscovy is very stubborn and refuses to go in the coop. Her two daughters always listen to her :(

I checked the Muscovies Monday late morning, just when the storm was starting. I brought them some food and as normal they came over, tail wagging and ate. I patted Peanut and Popcorn. I told them to be safe and I left them I spent the rest of the day fighting to keep my driveway clear for the Fedex guy (bringing the heater). 

When I went to check on and take food to the Muscovy ducks Tuesday morning only Peanut was there. Mama Muscovy and Popcorn had disappeared. The pond is 99.9% frozen (or was then) so I walked all the way around the pond calling for them. They always come swimming/flying over to "duck, duck, goose" I couldn't find them anywhere.

We caught Peanut and brought her up to the other ducks, the Saxony and Indian Runners, so she wouldn't be alone. Muscovy ducks are pretty snotty; they only like other Muscovy ducks. They don't seem to like other ducks breeds. Muscovy ducks are racist! :) I swear my Muscovy ducks think the Saxony ducks and Indian Runners are complete idiots. They tend to keep their distance.

We spent hours every day during the week searching for the two missing ducks. Couldn't find them anywhere.

On Thursday, Peanut the lone Muscovy was so depressed and lonely I decided to put an ad on Kijiji to see if I could find her a Muscovy friend. Friday night I got an email from the lady at the feed store in New Glasgow; she has a Muscovy for me. 

Saturday morning we picked up the Muscovy. She's a lovely white and black. Her and Peanut got along immediately. 


About an hour after we got the new Muscovy home, who shows up at the back pond, but Mama Muscovy! Holy shit! 

It took us about two hours to catch Muscovy Mom. During that time we fell (through the ice into the pond or from the ice into several inch deep puddles of ice water) at least 50 times (no exaggeration). We chased Muscovy mom from one side of the pond and back again (and again and again and again). We managed to herd her into the forest where she couldn't take flight. We are all wet, frozen, bruised and battered, and downright exhausted. Trying to catch a duck that doesn't want to be caught that can fly is brutal hard! Damn her and her awesome flying ability! Damn us and not being able to fly! But YAY!! for human intelligence and determination. WE WON!

Mama Muscovy is now safely at the front pond with her daughter Peanut and the new Muscovy lass Figgie. 

There was no sign of the other missing Muscovy today. We will keep looking!





No comments:

Post a Comment