Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

Three Weeks in New Brunswick

I have been living in New Brunswick for three weeks now, so far, I like it. I have been slowly learning my way around and meeting people. Workwise things have been going very well. Its been two full work weeks (I didn't have internet for my first week, so couldn't work) and I have been getting a good amount of dances. I have noticed that there are more half an hour dances here than in Ontario (instead of hour long dances); I would assume that has to do with the lower economy here. Overall, work gets a thumbs up.

Most things are cheaper here than Ontario; rent, hydro, internet are all less expensive in New Brunswick than Ontario. Food seems to be a bit more expensive (By just a dime or two) compared to prices at a large city grocery store in Ontario. However, compared to prices in Coe Hill or even Bancroft, food prices are equal or cheaper here (The variety store down the street is less expensive than the grocery store in Coe Hill!). I am told that come late spring, seafood prices here will drop significantly, and we'll be able to enjoy inexpensive seafood till fall. I am looking forward to that! I have also noticed that the grocery stores here stock more local items from local bakeries, greenhouses etc, than what the grocery stores in Ontario do (and I'm talking chain stores like grocery stores like Sobey's/Foodland) and I have noticed piles of micro-breweries around here.

I came to New Brunswick thinking that their job market was really horrible. Honestly, its not as bad as us Ontarians think. I have been checking Kijiji daily for a part time job for my son and there are quite a few jobs available. There are definitely not jobs available for every profession here, but heck, that's true for Ontario too! The unemployment rate for New Brunswick is about 9%, the unemployment rate for Ontario is 6-7%. Certainly a difference, but not as much as most Ontarians believe; most people, including myself, seem to think the unemployment here in New Brunswick is soooo bad 50% of the people are out of work! Its funny how we exaggerate things :)

There are lots of cool things to do here in New Brunswick that cannot be done in Ontario. I am excited to get to go out on a whale watching tour and go on a tour to see the Puffins. I also look forward to being able to go to the fish market and buy fish seafood. There is lots of wonderful hiking trails here and of course loads of great fishing (I can fish the St. John's river which is a ten minute walk away!) A fishing license is about $20 for residents (it's an extra $15 is you want to fish salmon too). I definitely will be doing some fishing this summer!

I look forward to experiencing all that New Brunswick has to offer! It seems like a great province!

Hugs and love!





No comments:

Post a Comment