Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Broom Corn



The Broom corn that my friend planted in my garden is growing magnificently and I would assume its getting close to harvest time. So, I figured I should Google it and find out a bit about it


It is used to make whisk brooms and corn brooms

A ton of broom corn brush generally makes around 80 - 100 dozen brooms 

It grows to be 6 – 15  fifteen feet tall.

It is a a variety of sorghum 

It can be used as a low budget food for livestock, but is generally not edible

Broom corn has been used for broom making since at least the 1500s.

It grows and looks much like sweet corn

It is very hardy and easy to grow; it is drought resistant and can easily tolerate poor soil




Here's a great in depth article on Broom corn to check out:





No comments:

Post a Comment