Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Growing Garden

Sorry I haven't blogged in a few days, my family hosted our annual Naughty Nymph Charity Party on the weekend, so I was crazy busy before, during and after it. The Charity Party was a huge success, we had over 70 people out over the weekend and raised $250 for the Sarnia Sexual Assault Survivors Center!

Blogging is not the only thing that fell behind over the last week, so did the garden! It is now back to being a weedy mess :( 



However, despite the over abundance of weeds, the veggies still grew like crazy!


I didn't think I was going to get any cantaloupes this year, but yay! some actually grew. 


Green peppers, finally starting to grow


Pumpkins are looking great!


The tomatoes are growing like crazy and the plants are so big they are falling out of the cages. The tomatoes are taking a long time to ripen this year, but they are slowly starting to go red! Tomatoes are one of the biggest things I grow as they freeze well and I use them frequently in sauces and soups. Cooked tomatoes are extremely healthy (Cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes are), but buying canned tomatoes suck, as the acid in the tomatoes takes the cancer causing crap off the inside of the can. I try to grow enough to last the year. 


The broom corn is looking great! Broom corn is not edible, it what corn brooms are made from. 


The squash is growing like crazy! 


Watermelons!


Today's harvest - lots of beans, peas, some Swiss chard for supper, lots of onions and some of the warped cucumbers. I made the other yellow misshapen cucumbers into dill relish and it turned out great! Now between the radish relish and dill relish I should have enough relish to last the year!


Flowers in the front garden, so pretty :)











No comments:

Post a Comment