Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Rifle vs Crossbow

After dealing with the poor little skunk with distemper last week, it got me thinking that perhaps I should buy something encase it happens again (the skunk was the second animal to come into me yard in the last year with distemper), I asked on Facebook everyone's opinion on the two and which they thought was better and was answered by a myriad of answers. I noticed that the majority of the people (not all, but the majority) that said rifle were people that had not hunted before, while everyone that said crossbow had been hunting in the past. Now, I'm not looking for to go hunting, I'm looking for something to kill a diseased animal as quickly and painlessly as possible. I'm also not looking to shot anything from a distance or that is moving quickly. I'm looking for something that will kill a small animal from 4-5 feet away.

As I don't know a heck a lot about rifles or crossbows (I have a longbow I can use, but have never used a crossbow and am not a big fan of guns at all) I spent a few hours today googling the two:

Crossbows:

  • You do not need a license to own a crossbow (Unless you want to hunt with it) 
  • There is a 58% higher chance of wounding an animal instead of killing it when using a crossbow compared to a rifle.
  • Crossbows take more time to become proficient with than rifles do
  • Crossbow practice can happen in the backyard, rifle practice cannot.
  • You can legally hunt in Ontario with a crossbow (With a license) but it must have a certain amount of draw to hunt deer, moose and bear
  • Crossbow hunting is banned in several provinces due to it being the "perfect poachers weapon"
  • A crossbow is basically silent
  • A 45 pound draw hunting bow has the killing ability of a 30-06 rifle
  • Some animal right groups like PETA say a crossbow does not kill as quickly as a rifle so is therefore crueler than a rifle; however, hunters disagree.An experienced bowman can kill just as efficiently with a crossbow.
  • Single hand crossbows are illegal in Canada 


Rifle:

  • A gun license is required for a rifle - It costs $60 and lasts 5 years. A test must be passed to get a rifle license
  • Generally (But not always) a rifle is more expensive than a crossbow
  • A rifle is easier to learn how to use than a crossbow is
  • To practice with a rifle you need to go to a gun club (which will cost money)
  • A rifle is damn noisy when fired and a neighbor may call the police (You wouldn't get in trouble for shooting a diseased animal, but who needs the extra headache)
  • Rifle needs proper locked storage which is an added expense

Lots of pros and cons for each. I think in the end a crossbow makes more sense. I'm not planning on going out hunting, and from what I've read a crossbow will give just as quick of death as a rifle will. I think in the fall when I have the time, I'll head out to some sporting stores and see what I can find. I believe we are all children of the Earth and its our responsibility to take care of all of our brother and sister animals the best we can. An animal with distemper is in pain and could spread the disease, the right thing to do is give it a quick and merciful death. 



No comments:

Post a Comment