Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Dead Hens

Sadly, in the last week two of the young hens I got about a month ago have died. :( One died a couple of days ago and another died last night.

Both of them died the same way; their head through the dog cage bars. Their neck was snapped. I'm not sure if they are doing it themselves or if one of the older hens is grabbing their head and snapping their neck.

I have no idea what to do. This is a first for me. It breaks my heart when a being in my care dies.

A friend suggested letting them out of the cage. I tried that last week and it didn't go well (Dirty Girl outright attacked one and tried to kill it). I'm going to try again today and see if things go any better, but honestly I doubt it. The little chickens are just so small!

I normally get hens at 4-6 months old as it's way easier and less stressful. They are old enough to safely free range when they are about four months old and they start laying when they are 5-6 months old.

I'll let you know how things go today, fingers crossed! Hopefully I'll have a good report tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment