Pages

Friday, October 30, 2015

Bantams, Chatham and Samhain

Happy Halloween and Blessed Samhain! Big hugs and love to all my pagan friends who will be honoring their ancestors and remembering their dead this weekend.

Myself, I lost my favorite relative, Uncle Gord this year, my very first and favorite hen Poppy and possibly the best cat ever Ripley, plus seven other beloved hens. It was a rough year. :(

The little hen, Peepers from the group of chickens my friend got almost two month ago, is doing well, but damn, she is small. She is obviously a Bantam (or at least a bantam cross). A bantam is not a breed of chicken, it's a size ... a very small size. They lay small eggs, about half as many yearly as a standard size he does. Not a size I would ever buy and one of the big reasons the other little hens got killed when my big ladies landed on them. :( When I buy hens I look for breeds that are big, sturdy and ornery.I think that's important for free range hens.

The hen in the pic below is Peepers, she the Bantam, the two hens on the other side ares standard sized hens, they are Orpingtons. They are pretty well the same age ... big difference in size.


Moving plans for the end of March are going along well. I've been talking to one of my best friends in Chatham and may be moving there. Not sure yet. My friend and I are talking a bit of a business deal, so it may be worth my while, although I would still really like to move to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. I guess we'll see how things work out. If things work with my dear friend than back to southwestern Ontario I go. If not, off to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia I go.

I would really love to move to a different province, but I do have lots of great friends in southwestern Ontario and some really awesome regular customers that I would love to see again. 

I guess we'll see what happens. I'm an easy going person and always up to doing something new.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!








No comments:

Post a Comment