Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Beavers, Ponds,Bylaws and Websites

Hi everyone! Sorry, I haven't blogged in a few days! I have been busy, busy, busy!

I have been doing a huge amount of research. I have googled the crap out of beavers, ponds, Nova Scotia in general, wild animals in Nova Scotia, and livestock bylaws. I have learned a LOT! Most of it good, some bad ...

One of the ponds at my new place has had a family of wonderful beaver in it for many many years. The pond is far enough from the house that it poses no threat. Sadly, the last tenants that lived there killed the beaver family (which got them evicted). Google tells me that a new beaver family should move in within the next year! If not, I can contact a wildlife rescue and help save a beaver by letting him be relocated to the pond. I love beavers! Yippee! Yes, I know beavers can me trouble makers. I read about 50 articles on beavers over the last couple of days ... a lot of people don't like beavers! :( As I said the beaver pond here is located in a place where it does not hurt the house, cannot flood anything and harms nothing, but the surrounding trees, which is ok ... a beaver has to eat too! The other complaints about beavers that they attract predators and that they can give you "Beaver Fever". I'm ok with the predators. The large predators are generally not around till night time; after dark the hens are secured in their coop; the dogs are always on leash, I carry a stout walking stick, and we stay moderately close to the house. Beaver Fever is actually a real thing (I know! Who knew?): it is also called Giardiasis. It's a disgusting parasite that's in the poop of many animals. The beaver likes to poop in the water (most animals don't), and guess what happens: the parasite gets in the water. Humans swim in water, gulp a tiny bit of water, and you may get beaver fever.It's like the flu, but way more fun cause it can last for 2-4 weeks! Other interesting beaver facts: they eat tires; they have 2-4 kits (kids) a year); they mate for life; they are the largest rodent in North America; the can hold their breaths up to ten minutes and their eyelids are clear so they can shut their eyes underwater, but still see; and they cannot climb over a four foot fence (Good to know for my garden!).

Seriously! How could you not love Beavers!! (I know all you fellas are giggling away at "beavers", thinking who much you loved them!")





I have also been researching ponds. Finding out what types of wild life lives around them and what vegetation to expect. I have lived in a LOT of places during my life, but I've never had a pond! Some of the trees that I may have around my pond are trees I've never had before, like a willow tree! I LOVE willow trees. Have always wanted to have one close by. They are so beautiful!

The wildlife here seems very similar to what we had in Coe Hill, lots of coyote and deer. The occasional bear or cougar/bobcat, and maybe some wolves or moose. In Nova Scotia we also get bald eagles and puffins.

Bylaw wise I can sell eggs and veggies from the property no problem :) I can have up to 200 hens! I only want 10-20, 200 would be horrible!

I have been working away trying to get the webpage for my new place up and going, The Happy Hippie Haven". I five-ten years, I have some hippie friends coming to join me, we are gonna retire happy :)

Hugs and love!
Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment